The American Nurses Association of Michigan (ANA-Michigan) has launched a free online four-part training program for teachers, faculty and staff for K-12 schools. Developed as a proactive response to the growing need of school administrators amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the program seeks to secure the facts and share appropriate safety measures to help schools support their worried staff and concerned parents.
To ensure the best possible outcome for this project ANA-Michigan solicited its membership, seeking individuals with a particular interest in how COVID-19 is impacting schools. Out of the dozens of nurses that applied, the Nursing Practice Committee carefully reviewed and selected 8 ANA-Michigan members to serve as authors and trainers for the program. For the past month, the team of nurses have been building the curriculum, vetting resources and recording training videos.
The comprehensive course includes the following sections:
Part 1: Introduction to Coronavirus
- Background and overview of virus
- Overview of safety practices
- Overview of symptoms
- Comparison of COVID-19 vs flu
- Exposure and testing
- COVID-19 in children
Watch Part 1: Introduction to Coronavirus
Part 2: Maintaining Safety Practices During COVID-19
- Importance of implementing safety practices
- Creating and implementing new safety routines
- Spreading of virus
- Cleaning and disinfecting
- Hand hygiene
- Social distancing
- Staying healthy
Watch Part 2: Maintaining Safety Practices During COVID-19
Part 3: Managing Stress During COVID-19
- What stress looks like for students and teachers/staff
- How to support the student
- Taking care of yourself and your school community
- Common concerns
- Coping with stress and anxiety
- Stress management vs. resilience
- Helpful apps and supportive video resources
Watch Part 3: Managing Stress During COVID-19
Part 4: Tool kit for School Faculty and Personnel Resources
- Recommended general, evidence-based resources
- Resources on stress reduction, mental health & coping
- Recommended resources and lesson plans by grade level
- Student engagement mask making activity
- Videos - tool kit can be viewed on-demand
Watch Part 4: Tool kit for School Faculty and Personnel Resources
Schools that would like to work with one of our nurse trainers for specific questions, or for an online Q& A chat can schedule now through ANA-Michigan.
Please direct specific questions about the COVID-19 Training Program or ANA-Michigan to Lea Osborne, Deputy Director of ANA-Michigan at Lea@ana-michigan.org or (517) 325-5306.
[American Nurses Association-Michigan (ANA-Michigan) is the premier organization representing the interests of registered nurses (RNs) across the state. ANA-Michigan brings nurses together to advance their careers and the profession through standard-setting, advocacy, and professional development.]
This Training Program, and all its included materials, are the property of ANA-Michigan.